Thursday 3 May 2012

Mondrian...

Mondrian, full name Pieter Cornelis Mondrian was a painter who was also the Leader of the Dutch abstract-art movement known as de stijl. Looking at his work below, his pieces are very architectural and graphic design based. These pieces below show the experimental work Mondrian did revolving around Cubism. Mondrian had a 'neoplastic' style that emerged around 1920, his style was intended to represent reality in abstract ways based on using the simpliest details of a straight line, right angles and the primary colours, plus black and white. Mondrian's work has the concept of ultimate harmony, peaceful, mainly through the fact that his work portrays no movement. Mondrian's work prolongs time, traps time in a stand still, he captures a moment and makes it last forever.
What I like about Mondrian's work is how similiar my previous experiment work is to his work, I had never seen his work before my tutor recommended looking at him and Mary was right. The selection I made with my cubes are so similiar, the differences and simplicity of using size and primary colours. My experiment however do range the primary colours, Mondrian's work really does simplify his work just by using primary colours with black lines. My cube experiment may work and reflect light a lot better just by simplifying the amount of colour I use on each side of the cube.  
 1921, Oil on Canvas, 39 x 35cm
1918, Oil on Canvas, 80.2 x 49.9cm. Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, Texas

No comments:

Post a Comment