Saturday 23 February 2013

Final design idea developments...

Starting off on the development of my final ideas was exciting and different because my outcome will be a digital print; I have never done a digital print on Photoshop before. Going to the digital workshops have been exceptionally helpful, I now have skills that I can apply to this project that I would not have had if I did not go. I wanted to start off by experimenting with basic repeats and develop from there. I began repeating some of the new combination motifs and this design above was my first outcome. It is hard to tell from the image but this design did not work out, as the original was a croquet design the stems coming off the floral elements did not match up like I thought they would have. Even if the stems matched up to how I wanted them too, I would have not taken this design any further as the pattern is too busy and too dark especially with the flowers.
This design was a little more complicated as it involved colour that was applied through Photoshop using the gradient overlay. I created the half-drop repeat first and then tested out different backgrounds. I added the green gradient overlay to the background but the opacity made the pattern look faded to I applied the gradient overlay to the pattern itself and this above was the result. As a simple repeated pattern this would work satisfactory but I want something better than it just be satisfactory.
This design above is a simple side by side repeat with a coloured striped background. The minute I saw this finished design, I knew it would work wonders as a wallpaper design. I think I knew this through the striped vertical background. It would work especially well as a singular lined pattern border. I could not see this design on a couch or cushions as I think the design is too straight for that.
This design above is a simple side by side repeat that shows off the motifs clearly. I applied a solid coloured background that does not distract from the pattern. Even though I do like this design, the plain background stood out too much for me so I went on to develop this pattern by adding a second layer of pattern and a lighter coloured background. Being able to create something as detailed as this on Photoshop gave me the confidence to try much more and create more intense patterns, through using brushes, other patterned backgrounds and multiple layers. Applying all these new techniques more interesting designs were made.

This design uses the same techniques as the previous one; the only difference being is that the motif combinations are different. Both layers are in a side by side repeat.
This design below is one of my favourite designs because it is so different to all the others. Creating a side by side repeat using a brush pre-set, allowed me to change the floral colours to a negative white. I also played around with the faintly striped background to create a negative colour setting that matched up with the pattern. Even though this is one of my favourite designs, a couple of people have said that it just looks badly printed, so maybe this is not the best final design idea to choose.
This has to be one of the most detailed patterned designs of mine that has been created so far. Both 2 layers are side by side repeats placed on top of each other, the middle layer pattern has been faded out to add extra detail to the design but not to distract away from the prominent pattern. I also developed the scale of the striped pattern background. Not only do the 3 layers apply together fittingly but the different shades of green also blend together attractively.

Another design that focuses on a side by side repeat. The layers are distinguished through different shades of green, there are 3 different layers that create this pattern. 2 of the layers contained the same pattern just at different scale levels, the bottom layer which is the darkest is a different motif but is still a side by side repeat.



No comments:

Post a Comment