Saturday 23 February 2013

Design developments...

This is one of my first designs created since experimenting with using natural and realistic leaves and flowers. The use of realistic leaves adds detail to this design; however, it also darkens the design. If I was to use this design and improve on it for a final piece, I would ease off on the amount of ink-shaded areas and add more subtle lines to create delicate shading and highlights, the lines created here distract from the realistic nature of the leaves. The circles added to this design shows off the aspect of colour and because it is an image of stitch, it adds a 3-dimensional aspect that is hard to draw. These circles could contain any elements of the Bradford piece and still work. I am not going to continue developing this design, as it does not flow together, it looks like 2 individual designs placed together, and I want my final piece to all connect. 
   

This croquet design below is produced to show a continuous flow of flower, stem and leaves. It is a line design that connects every aspect of this design together. This design would work more for wallpaper rather than for a furnishing design, mainly because of its length. I would also changes the leaves to how I said in my previous post, they distract from the rest of the design.
This design shows how this croquet sample would work put into a continuous repeat, from a far, the mistake is not as easily spotted but the leaves do not connect exactly where I hoped they would off. If this mistake was amended this design could work.
 
 
This third design below is the one that works the best so far, on its own and not in repeat. This linear drawing, which is all connected, contains detail, shading, colour and the Bradford floral elements. As I liked this design more than the others did, this is the design I chosen to take into a repeat workshop that shown systematically how to put a design into repeat physically and whether my design would work as a repeat. In this case, my design would not work without some major altercations to it. The altercations in affect would essentially change the complete design because it would have to be re-structured. The design would have to be re-structured because the repeat does not fit into the expected furnishing measurements.


No comments:

Post a Comment