Saturday 23 February 2013

Design development...

The above experiment was about testing the waters out with colour and learning how to do it on Photoshop. I decided to stick with the original designs colour palette as I think that the colour green suits the naturalistic aspect of the floral elements but especially with the leaves.
This design above is a half-drop repeat. This motif works slightly better than the other motifs through how the flower stem bends to one side. This motif design would work as an opposite reflection in a half-drop repeat? Layering up the same motifs twice gives off a 3-dimensional look, an aspect that works well in repeat.
This design above explores the angle of working with a 3-dimensional aspect alongside a coloured background. I used a thick green stripe that provides a green stripe for one line of the pattern, this creates an underground pattern. Layering up 2 different patterns that co-ordinate with each other could work better with different sized motifs. I decided to use a striped background because the original design holds a less obvious stripe. I wanted my design to still hold some of the orignal features, the stripe being one of them. However, this thickness of stripe may not work so well with other motifs, so I would change the thickness to what suits the other motifs.
This is where I began to experiment on Photoshop with rotation and reflection. Being able to use these tools and knowing how to use Photoshop a little more, allows me to be more creative with my design work. It also allows me to be more adventurous when thinking of prospective designs.
The half-drop repeat below uses relection. Using 2 different colours shows off the pattern clearly, this design could use a background to give a little bit more detail but the motifs do work when reflected.

No comments:

Post a Comment