Saturday 26 January 2013

Sampling...


This is the same pattern as the previous experiments but with no thread being used. I decided to stick to just using watercolours and applying them roughly and seeing how the outcome is perceived. This drawing was a fast and loose painting that is rough but appealing to my eye. From a distance this work looks detailed and nicely structured and presented but up-close it is a mess, the pencils lines are still there, some areas are horrifically painted and it definitely fits in the phrase of loosely painted. As it does work at a distance, if I was to continue with using watercolours, I think even though I wanted the watercolours to be applied artlessly I would give more consideration to its placement and how it is applied. 

            This experimental piece was about bringing order to the loosely applied watercolours and making it look more presentable. To do this I decided to combine 2 previous experiment methods, hoping to end up with a better design. I combined the loose watercolour experiment with the coloured outlined thread and this was the result. I do think this design is better than the other 2 singularly but something is still missing, for me there is nothing from this design that ‘wows’ me or stands out.

           
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
As the design above did not ‘wow’ me, I began to look at something from the design that could be changed so that the design could be improved. I decided to change the coloured outline thread to black thread, hoping that the black thread would make the floral pattern stronger. The end result was good and it did make the floral pattern stronger! If I was to choose one of the designs done so far this design would be in the top 2, the downfall it repeating this pattern and making it look evenly placed and presented. I just hope as a viewer the black thread is not too distracting. For my final designs for the Bradford competition, if I can get this pattern to work in repeat, I may think about submitting this one?

No comments:

Post a Comment