Wednesday 18 January 2012

 As my workshop was Dye, we had a full day where we was shown the process of dying a piece of material and the method in whcih we would use to dye what we wanted. I found this process confusing and long at the beginning but once i had dyed a few times it became easier somehow. Above are different types of thread that was dyed in the same vat but came out different shades of grape/purple, this is due to the different types of material, the material that soaked up water easier look darker than the ones that only took in a small amount of dye.
 The laced ribbon above couldn't be dyed because its polyester (TC) therefore the burn test proved that this material couldn't be dyed using direct dye but I tried it anyway. The colour changed sightly but the colour wasn't as bright as the one below.
 This piece of material is Muslin Cotton and is really good to use for dyeing. I like using the material because its flexible, making it appliable to anything.
This was my first attempt at tie-dyeing, I simply just wrapped around string holding the material in place creating this repetitional line. This sample reminds me of the heart beat shape you would see on a heart monitor.

No comments:

Post a Comment