Wednesday 18 January 2012

Indigo Dyeing

 This piece was made out of calico so I thought it would be thin enough for all the dye to go through but it did not work, only the top layer ended up with dye on it. The top layer created a repeated pattern of square bricks in a pillar format. This repeated would make an interesting pattern but would take time as each piller would have to be dyed seperately.
 I've done this process before but on different material so I expected this outcome. The marks created remind me of bacteria and the inside of a kiwi.
 This piece was created by dipping the shibori set material into the dye and leaving it there for about 2 minutes and then taking it out and leaving it to dry. This technique is called Shibori and is made by wrapping around fabric and pushing it up as tightly as it will go whilst constantly wrapping around string. I love how effective the pattern turns out and how every mark is singular.
This piece was created by folding up a piece of material and applying glass slates on either side, they was held together by a clamp and dipped in the indigo vat. I wanted this piece to create brick like and window shapes and it did, even though the lines weren't as clean cut as I wanted. The reflections make this piece resemble windows even more, they also create there own individual marks.

No comments:

Post a Comment