Saturday 11 May 2013

Our second run of the workshop...

It was our second run of our workshop and the first thing that stood out to me was the atmosphere and how relaxed it felt. We had originally planned for a rotation for who would present the presentation but for today, we all stood at the front and each said something, no matter how small it was, everyone engaged well together and I think this time around the children engaged more as well, they asked questions and seemed excited from the offset. Some of the children had even heard about the workshop from the children from the last one we did, they said they enjoyed it and someone even put a picture of it on Instagram, which I found really sweet and encouraging that what we did was successful.


For this workshop, we had 2 less helpers but it did not seem to hinder the day, we actually ended up finishing earlier than the first workshop, I think this is because we was aware and more prepared of how it would run, what could go wrong and how we improved it from last weeks workshop. We did change a few things from last workshop. We did not use white spirit as this is what we though caused the balloon to pop earlier than expected, we originally used it so that the wet paint balloons would dry because food was used and for it to help to stick dry balloons that had been popped, I am worried about whether the final 2nd canvas will dry but we did encourage more wet balloons than dry ones, as well as sieving out big clumpy parts. For this workshop we had the children filling the balloons and pumping them up, we did it with them but I think they became more independent at this point, the only thing most of them could not do was tying the balloons so this is where we stepped in. The hanging device this time around had to be sturdier than before because we noticed it dipped a lot once all the balloons were up, we also had the children attaching the balloons to the device but near to the end, the children started becoming silly by wanting to get in the middle of them so we had to ask them to get down and add the rest of the balloons ourselves.



I enjoyed the workshop but I feel like there is not enough roles to go around. At certain points in the workshop I found myself just stood there or cleaning up just to give myself something to do.


Working with different people from different fields in Art is good because I get to view how they approach planning and running a workshop. We do work well together but I consider myself more organised, needing time to plan and get things together but other people in the group can do this last minute, I feel this is my downfall when working in a group.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment