Wednesday 17 October 2012

Image Transfer Experiments...

 
I wanted to explore other options of using older images without cutting stencils out and taking away some of the detail. To do this I began experimenting with Image Maker by transferring images onto fabrics and experimenting with them this way. I started off experimenting by transferring an image containing me and my sister and brother onto previously dyed fabrics then worked into their faces disfiguring them through the material of silver foiling.

Taking away a person’s face, is taking away a person’s identity making their faces blank, a clean slate, almost like how losing your memory would be. For the experiment above I used white ink to disfigure the faces by applying it directly over their face and letting it seep through. If a decent amount of ink is used, once it has dried cracks begin to appear, I want to work with the idea of cracks and memory and how they work together. What does a person with amnesia actually remember and forget?

  I began to work into disfiguring their faces by applying bleach and leaving it to dry. However, once the bleach has dried it didn’t make a difference to the face; it just changed the areas of coloured fabric. The bleach did not interfere with the image transfer it just sat on top of it, I was disappointed with the results.        


No comments:

Post a Comment