Sunday 7 October 2012

Alzheimer's- Great-granddad George...


Discussing my project with my Nana and Granddad proved to be useful. After beginning my project with temporary and deciding to look into more detail on the subjects of memories, diseases that affect the memory and childhood, I decided to discuss this with my grand-parents who then inform me that my Great-granddad George died of one of the diseases I had previously researched- Alzheimer’s. I was only 2 at the time of his death which is why I don’t remember much about him or the illness he suffered from, so I began to ask them about how he changed and they began to tell me stories about how he was with the disease.

                One of the main things they told me that stood out was that he didn’t recognise himself when looking in the mirror and because he didn’t recognise himself when he looked out through a window he used to phone the police thinking someone was trying to break-in. To not remember loved ones faces must be hard enough but to not recognise you must have been frightening and lonely, feelings that we could not comprehend.

                They reckon that my Great-granddad had Alzheimer’s for 4 years; it became apparent when his partner Elsie died. Granddad George’s symptoms worsened after 2 years, his daughters and sons all taken care of him until it became too much to handle. He was placed in a care home for 12 months before he passed away.

                His symptoms whilst they taken care of him were agitation, loneliness, difference in personality, changed his appearance to not caring, confusion and eventually tube fed because he couldn’t remember how to swallow- it is like a baby trapped in a man’s body. It must have been awful to watch the person you love die away with nothing to do but watch. My nana said it was like caring for someone she had never met before because she knew he had already died.

                The brain shuts down gradually taking the person piece by piece. They said he ‘looked straight through them’ at times. He could remember years ago but just forgot recent stuff; he had no concept of time, the days and nights merged together. Some people call it the ‘Living Death Disease’. They also said he repeated a lot of things over and over again, confused and senseless.
                My Nana told me a story of how my older brother and sister asked my Great-granddad to draw with them, he didn’t understand first and after they explained and repeated what they was asking, they told him to not colour outside the lines, my Nana said he sat there for hours colouring in this picture without going out the lines, it was like him learning a new skill and revisiting childhood, this disease takes a person back to being the vulnerable baby they once started out as.

No comments:

Post a Comment